Illinois High School Basketball Top Performers: Feb. 15-21
Illinois-Basketball.com sends emails to the vast majority of coaches in the state of Illinois looking for the some of the top performances from players in the state.
An email was sent to every coach with an email listed on the IHSA website. Any emails omitted can be pointed out to the writer at firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to our database.
We’ve identified nearly 50 deserving athletes between boys and girls basketball. We’ve also included a list of milestones and accomplishments from the past week. Click here to see the top performers from Week 2.
Illinois Girls Player of the Week Nominees
- Lexie Sinclair, Bartlett (4A): Sinclair put together an unconventional triple-double with a 16-point, 11 assist, 12-steal game in a win over South Elgin; Scored 16 points against Streamwood, 18 vs. Elgin, and 20 against Neuqua Valley, all victories; Also, MacKenzie Hare put up scoring totals of 32, 39, 29 and 24.
- Trinity Wade, Shelbyville (2A): Scored 44 points in a win over Cerro Gordo/Bement, a school record.
- Emily White, Sullivan (2A): Scored a career-high 35, had 13 rebounds and shot 7 of 9 on 3-point attempts as Sullivan beat state top 10-ranked Clinton.
- Gracen Haska, Fenton (3A): The freshman recorded 17 points, 12 rebounds and 3 blocks in the Bison’s first win of the season; Also, Sophia Haska: scored 13 points, grabbed 17 rebounds and had 3 blocks in a win over East Aurora.
- Tyler Butler, Belleville East (4A): The senior forward keeps stacking up double-doubles. Butler had 19 points and 19 rebounds in a 49-47 loss to Belleville West Thursday; Scored 20 points and plucked 9 rebounds off the glass in a 54-46 win over Collinsville; Butler as of Sunday was averaging 19 ppg and 15.8 rpg through five contests.
- Apple Guerrero, Argo (4A): Averaged 21 points and 10 rebounds during the week, shooting 48% from the floor with 11 total assists and 12 steals.
- Thaya Luse, Aurora Christian (1A): Posted 29 points, 16 rebounds in a win over Rosary on Monday, Feb. 15; Tallied 21 points, 18 rebounds, 7 assists and 8 steals in a win over Elmwood Park Thursday. Had 6 consecutive double-doubles as of Sunday.
- Tyrah Taylor, Hope Academy (Chicago) (1A): Had 17 points, 10 rebounds, 4 steals in 79-7 win over Rochelle Zell on Tuesday, Feb. 16.
- Kamryn Sturdy, Tri-City/Sangamon Valley (2A): Freshman had 17 points, 3 assists and 3 steals in a win over rival Riverton; Also, sophomore Sarah Finley averaged 16 points, 9 rebounds, 2 blocks in games against South Fork and Riverton, while shooting 13 of 24 (54%).
- Riley Mount, West Aurora (4A): In three games, averaged 26 pppg, 8 rpg, 1.7 apg, 4 spg; Averaging 26 ppg this season overall.
- Natalie Iberg, Greenville (2A): 23 points, and five 3-pointers in a win over Vandalia on Friday.
- Jase Burkett, Woodlawn (1A): Freshman sank four 3-pointers and scored 14 points to lead Woodlawn back from a 9-point deficit to beat Goreville 42-40 Saturday.
- Sophia Harris, Putnam County (1A): Scored 24 points, added 12 rebounds, 5 steals and 3 blocks in a 57-35 win over Dwight Saturday; Had 11 points and 13 rebounds Thursday against Marquette; put up 14 points, 9 rebounds against Roanoke-Benson Wednesday, Feb. 17.
- Laura Strenk, Regina Dominican (2A): 15 points, 6 assists, 3 steals and a charge in a loss.
- Claire McDougall, Washington (3A): Posted two double-doubles, averaged 14 ppg and 10.5 rpg over two games against Pekin.
- Tiffany Bargmann, LeRoy (1A): Bargmann scored 17 points, had 5 rebounds, 7 assists and 3 blocks in a 64-27 win at Flanagan on Monday, Feb. 15; Scored 19 points, added 4 rebounds, 3 blocks and 2 assists in a 38-33 win over Lexington on Thursday, Feb. 18; Set school single-game block record with 8, adding 17 points, 8 rebounds and 3 assists in a 44-41 overtime win over El Paso-Gridley on Saturday Feb. 20.
- Kammie Ludwig, Geneseo (3A): Scored 25 points in less than a half of basketball in a win over United Township.
- Erin Henry, Plainfield North (4A): Put up 17 points, 8 rebounds, 4 assists and 4 steals in a win over Yorkville as the Tigers moved to 5-0 in the Southern Prairie; Also, Jayln Patterson scored 17 points and collected 14 rebounds in a win over West Aurora.
- Jessie Pakaski, Wauconda (4A): Led her squad to wins of 63-31 over Grant and 51-26 against Round Lake, combining for 21 points, 21 rebounds, 9 blocks and 5 assists in those games.
- Claire Roberts, Sandwich (3A): Scored 18 points, added 5 rebounds, 3 steals, 2 assists in a 40-25 win over Somonauk Monday, Feb 15; Hit two 3-pointers on her way to 14 points, 3 rebounds, 3 assists, 3 steals in a 42-34 win over Rochelle on Wednesday, Feb. 17; Hit all 8 free throw attempts scored 10 points, added 7 rebounds and 2 steals in a Friday loss to Sycamore.
- Gabi Burgess, Lake Park (3A): Scored 25 points and had three steals in road win over Wheaton North.
- Janae Kent, Oak Forest (3A): Scored 27 and grabbed 15 rebounds in a 54-37 win over Lemont Friday; She became the latest Illinois hoopster to be offered by LSU women’s basketball.
- Sydney Affolter, Marist (4A): an Iowa signee, put up scoring totals of 33, 20 (w/16 rebounds), 13 (w/8 rebounds) and was nominated for the McDonald’s All-American Game.
- Erin Houpt, Danville (3A): Had scoring totals of 35 and 20.
- Lauren McDonald, Saint Ignatius: Scored 17 points, had 7 rebounds and 4 assists in a win over Mother McAuley Saturday; Scored 32 in a win over Mother McAuley Friday.
- KayLee Hohlbauch, Arcola (1A): 23 rebounds, 16 points in a 48-41 win over Okaw Valley on Thursday.
- Lexi Kerstein had a triple-double of 16 points, 10 rebounds and 10 assists and a near triple-double of 17 points, 11 assists and 8 rebounds.
- Carsyn Todd, Salt Fork (1A): Scored 31 and hit 4 treys in a win.
- Maya Osborn, Marshall (2A): 20 points, 10 rebounds, 8 assists in a 56-27 win over Olney.
- Charlotte Trunk, Sandburg (4A): Averaging 12 points, 10 rebounds per game; Erin O’Connor is averaging 10 pts, 10 rebounds, 6 assists and 5 steals a game; Also sophhomore guard Claire Calaghan is averaging 9 points, 4 assists and 4 steals per game.
Illinois Boys Player of the Week Nominees
- Bryce Moore, Carmel Catholic (3A): 18 ppg, 9 rpg, 3 apg, 2 spg and led his team to a 2-1 record ast week.
- Chase White, Lebanon (1A): Senior point guard missed who missed his entire junior season with an ACL tear and after three games this season he is averaging 17 ppg, 4 apg, 4 spg and 4 rbps a game. His coach called him “a silky point guard who can facilitate, pass and score.”
- Jenson Whiteman, Rockridge (2A): Coming off a team quarantine, Whiteman scored 35 points had 6 rebounds and 4 assists in a win over Orion. Whiteman was an all-Three Rivers Area Conference performer a season ago.
- Tommy Zimmer, Illinois Lutheran (1A): The junior, who already has a 31-point game this season, recorded a 20-point, 10-rebound game against Donovan Friday and a 20-point, 9-rebound game against Grant Park Saturday.
- Devion Blake, Egyptian (1A): The 6 foot, 5 inch junior post player put up two strong performances, 22 points, 10 rebounds, 8 assists, 2 blocks and 3 steals in a win over Elvarado; Blake also posted 30 points, 6 rebounds, 2 blocks and 2 steals in a loss to Cobden.
- Blake Kimball, Unity (Tolono) (2A): A junior point guard, Kimball scored 22 points in a loss to St. Joseph Ogden; Kimball responded after the loss with 30 points on 8 of 15 shooting, (6 of 13 on 3-point attempts) in a win over Paxton-Buckley-Loda.
- Dylan Singleton, Lincoln (3A): Scored 38 in a win over 2A #1 Sacred- Heart-Griffin.
- Manny Garcia, Notre Dame La Sallete: Put up a stat line of 21 points, 12 rebounds and five assists in a 57-47 win over Springfield Sabers.
- Robbie Avila, Oak Forest (3A): The big, spectacled junior post had 23 points and 12 rebounds in a win over Bremen Wednesday; Avila, who recently picked up an offer from Division I Richmond; Scored 30 points and collected 11 rebounds in a loss against Lemont on Friday; Avila also crossed 1,000 points for his career.
- Mason Kibelkis, Peotone (2A): The 6-4 junior who once won a state free throw contest, sank 8 of 12 3-point tries on his way to 26 points against Streator.
- Jacob Shoven, Clifton Central (2A): Scored 22 points and recorded 6 rebounds, 4 steals against Momence on Friday, reaching 1000 points in the process.
- Jack Haynes, Streator (3A): Scored 27 points and grabbed 14 rebounds (7 offensive, 7 defensive) against Peotone.
- Bryce Anderson, Carterville (2A): hit the game-winning bucket with 2.3 seconds remaining to defeat previously unbeaten Centralia.
- Ben Randall, Hersey (4A): Posted 15 points, 14 rebounds in one game, 12 points, 7 rebounds in another.
- Nick Martinelli, Glenbard South (4A): Scoring in bunches for undefeated GBS, Scored 34 in a win over New Trier, and 21 in a win over Highland Park.
- Kelton McEwen, Bartlett (4A): The freshman scored 25 points in a 79-68 win over Streamwood.
- Carson Brozenec, Fisher: Scored a school-record 40 points in an 82-66 win over Clinton.
- Kentucky signee Bryce Hopkins, earned a McDonald’s All-American Game nomination, had 25 points, 18 rebounds and two blocks in an 84-54 win over Montini; Scored 22 points in an overtime, 71-68 loss to Nile Notre Dame; Scored 19 in a win over Providence Catholic.
- Ty Pence, St. Joseph-Ogden (2A): Scored 40 points and had 19 rebounds in a 66-52 win over Oakwood Wednesday Feb. 17 Scored 16 in a win over Robinson Saturday; Posted a 20-point, 16-rebound performance in a 58-51 win over Unity Friday.
- Robert Roszkiewicz, Addison Trail (4A): Scored 37 in a loss to Willowbrook.
- DaJuan Bates, De La Salle: scored 40 in a 66-51 win over Leo.
- Jaxson Provost, Bishop McNamara: scored 23, had 10 assists, 6 rebounds, 5 deflections 3 steals over 2 games. s
Milestones, Game-Winners and More
We’re on the lookout for records and milestones, monster performances and game-winners. You can find more info like this by subscribing to the Illinois High School Basketball News Newsletter.
It’ll be hard to top a three-quarter court buzzer-beater to knock off a ranked team in overtime:
- Stevenson’s Simone Sawyer reached 1,000 career points in a win over Dundee-Crown. Dion Martorano of the Journal & Topics Media Group wrote more.
- Rock Island boys basketball coach Thom Sigel is now second in WB6 history in wins.
- Moline coach Sean Taylor earned his 100th Western Big 6 victory, which Justice Keene said makes him the fourth coach in conference history to reach that mark.
- Grayslake North coach Todd Grunloh picked up his 200th win in the Knights’ 68-67 win against Antioch. The game featured Joe Valera coming off the bench to score 24 points and hit the game-winning shot at the buzzer.
- Ganon Greenman of Ridgewood broke his brother Briar’s school scoring record and went over 1,500 points in the same game. Terry Ducket of the Dispatch-Argus has continued to document Greenman’s exploits.
- Wethersfield’s Coltin Quagliano became the boys leading scorer for his school and the Lincoln Trail Conference as he has sailed past 2,000 points.
- Normal graduate Kendall Sosa is racking up national awards for her play at Illinois Wesleyan.
- Maribeth Dura won her 100th game as the coach of Brimfield.
- Buzzer-beater as Leyden defeated Proviso West.
- Coach Lee Bennett won his 300th game at Centralia. As of Wednesday Feb. 17 he held a record of 300-102.
- Evanston graduate Eliyah Williams went over 1,000 points for Farleigh Dickinson.
- Ashley Raymer reached 1,000 points for Providence Catholic.
- Danny Grieves went over a quarter of a ton of wins, or as it’s easier to say, 500 for Metamora boys basketball.
- Mendon Unity coach Brad Begeman reached 200 victories in a win over Quincy Notre Dame.
- Greta Kampschroeder was honored as the lone Illinois girls preps player to be selected for the McDonald’s All-American Game and also hit this ridiculous shot.
- Marengo’s Matt Volkening scored 33 points in the same game as he crossed the 1,000 points threshold in a 64-33 victory.
- Conor Enright scored 21 points had 12 assists and 4 rebounds in a 70-48 win over Round Lake and also reached 1,000 points last week. He also scored 15 had 5 assists and 5 rebounds in a win over Libertyville.
- Rochelle broke a school record when the Hubs drilled 18 3-pointers in a 90-56 victory.
- Quincy Notre Dame reached 1,500 wins as a program, per Matt Schuckman.
- Genoa-Kingston grad Julie Galauner scored 41 points had 11 rebounds, and broke the Augustana University and NACC career records for 3-pointers.
- Josh Harris crossed 1,000 points for Timothy Christian.
- Heritage’s Corey White won his 100th game.
- Illinois Valley Central’s Kamden Wollard reached the 1,000 points mark.
- Evanston girls basketball coach Brittanny Johnson recorded her 100th win as the coach of the Wildkits.
- Decatur MacArthur’s Quincenia Jackson became the program’s all-time leader in points.
- Kayla Kodat, Dwight (1A): Hit 1,000 points for her career.
- Aurora Christian’s Lexi Lamanna, already the program record-holder for assists, broke the steals record as she neared 300 steals last week.
- Sandburg’s Josie Canellis set the program record for most 3’s in a half with 7 aainst Bolingbrook.
- Annawan’s Emily Miller is now over 1,000 career points after scoring 21 in a 64-48 win over West Central.