Illinois High School Basketball Top Performers: February 1-8
Over the weekend, Illinois-Basketball.com sent emails out to the vast majority of coaches in the state of Illinois looking for the some of the top performances from players in the state.
An email was sent to every coach with an email listed on the IHSA website. Any emails omitted can be pointed out to the writer at email@example.com to be added to our database. More than twice as many boys coaches responded as girls coaches.
Week 1 Players of the Week:
Offensive efforts stood out in the form of herculean displays by Altamont freshman Grace Nelson and Ridgewood’s Ganon Greenman. They are your inaugural Players of the Week.
Illinois Girls Player of the Week Nominees
- POTW: Grace Nelson, Altamont (1A): 40 points, 6 rebounds as a freshman in her first varsity game, a 68-65 loss to Neoga; 34 points, 6 rebounds in a 69-51 win over Farina South Central; 36 points, 9 steals in a 77-55 win over St. Teresa.
- Alyssa Crenshaw, Dundee-Crown (4A): 30 points, 20 rebounds in 54-53 win over South Elgin, including last two put-back buckets to end the game.
- Taylor Charles, Burlington Central (3A): 20 points, 18 rebounds in her Rockets debut (previously played at Montini), a 63-60 win over Batavia.
- Sarah Finley, Buffalo Tri-City/Sangamon Valley (2A): 30 points, 6 blocks, 4 rebounds in Feb. 6 56-50 win over Williamsville.
- Germayia Wallace, Alton (4A): 16 points, 7 rebounds against Collinsville.
- Kim Stuerke, Buffalo Grove, (4A): 25 points, seven 3-pointers, 8 rebounds, 3 assists in OT loss Rolling Meadows.
- Emily Galvan, Rolling Meadows (4A) 32 points, five 3-pointers, 5 rebounds, 4 assists in overtime win or Buffalo Grove.
- Tessa Towers, Batavia (4A): 20 points, 11 rebounds, 4 blocks.
- Claire Hyde, Wheaton North (4A): 17 points, 8 rebounds, 6 assists, 4 steals against Naperville Central.
- Sophie Swanson, Barrington (4): 21 points, in 18 minutes of play, 2 rebounds, 2 assists, 2 steals in 55-33 in over Schaumburg.
- Whitney Zumbahlen, Newton (2A): 11 points, 5 rebounds, 3 steals, 3 assists in 40-24 win over Dieterich on Feb. 5; 25 points, 9 rebounds, 3 steals, 3 blocks in 61-49 win over Vandalia on Feb. 6.
Illinois Boys Player of the Week Nominees
- POTW: Ganon Greenman, Ridgewood (3A): School-record 51 points in win over West Central; 37 in win over Kewanee.
- Niko Powe, Kewanee (2A): 34 points, 3 assists and 4 of 4 on 3-point shooting in game against Ridgewood.
- Xavier Gagnepain, Sycamore (3A): 33 points, 10 rebounds in loss to Rock Falls on Feb. 5; 18 points, 4 rebounds, 3 steals in win over Genoa-Kingston on Feb. 6.
- Sean Gallery, Maine South (4A): 17 points, 4 rebounds, 3 assists in 47-36 win over Loyola; 12 points, 5 assists, 2 rebounds in 64-46 win over Deerfield. Marko Anderson also posted a stat line of 24 points, 8 rebounds and 6 assists in the win over Deerfield.
- Erik Rimas, Vernon Hills (3A): 29 points, 9 rebounds, six 3-pointers made in 81-60 loss to Evanston. Rimas is a football recruit with an FCS offer from the likes of Eastern Illinois to play tight end or lineman.
- Aiden Whitlock, Eldorado (2A): 21 points, 11 rebounds (5 offensive), 4 assists, 2 blocks against West Frankfort.
- Jaden Schutt, Yorkville Christian (1A): 23 points, 10 rebounds, 2 dunks in win over Sandwich.
- JT Welch, Bloomington Central Catholic (2A): 28 points, 10 assists in 73-70 loss at Rock Island Feb. 6; 24 points in 64-61 loss to Moline.
- Kaleb Applebey, Mount Carmel (2A): 31 points, 15 rebounds, 4 assists, 3 steals, 2 blocks, in 2-point loss to Mt. Vernon.
- Ethan Roberts, Hersey (4A): 20.5 ppg, 6 rpg, 4 assists through two games.
- Cam Russell, Indian Creek (1A): 25 points in win over Hinckley-Big Rock; 18 in win over Genoa-Kingston and shot 75% combined over the two games.
- Andrew Marincic, Elmwood (1A): 31 points, 9 rebounds, 2 assists against Lewistown Feb. 5.
- Gabe Calhoun, Dunlap (2A): 25 points, 11 rebounds, 8 steals, 4 assists in 67-61 win over Peoria Christian.
- Daniel Duncan, Peoria Christian (1A): 30 points in 67-62 loss to Illinois Valley.
- Conor Enright, Lake Forest (3A): 28 points in 71-60 win over Mundelein.
- Luke Braman, Roanoke-Benson (1A): 29 points in win over Midland Feb. 5.
- Max Christie, Rolling Meadows (4A): 24 points, 10 rebounds, 6 blocks in 68-63 win over Buffalo Grove
- John Poulakidas, Neuqua Valley (4A): 28 points in 65-53 win over Timothy Christian.
- Zach Cleveland, Normal (4A): 13 points, 20 rebounds 9 assists, 4 blocks in win over Bloomington Central Catholic
- Darius Clemons, Stevenson (4A): 24 points, 14 rebounds in 63-59 win over Streamwood.
- Mason Accidentale, Plano (3A): Combined 45 points, 6 rebounds, 4 steals and 9 three-pointers made in two games.