Illinois High School Basketball Top Performers: Feb. 8-14
Over the weekend, Illinois-Basketball.com sent emails out to the vast majority of coaches in the state of Illinois looking for the some of the top performances from players in the state.
An email was sent to every coach with an email listed on the IHSA website. Any emails omitted can be pointed out to the writer at email@example.com to be added to our database.
We’ve identified nearly 50 athletes between boys and girls basketball. We’ve also included a list of milestones and accomplishments from the past week. Click here to see the top performers from Week 1.
Illinois Girls Player of the Week Nominees
- Brooke Heiman, Indian Creek (1A): Scored totals of 31, 31 and 35 over her last three games.
- MacKenzie Hare, Bartlett (4A): 28 points against Geneva, 32 points against Naperville North, scored 32 and hit 7 3-pointers against Glenbard South. Kaleb Carter wrote about Hare in December.
- Avery Jackson, Kankakee (3A): 16 points in conference-opening 53-45 win over Rich Township.
- Marissa Hilt, Bloomington (3A): Scored 22 points, 10 rebounds, 1 assist, 3 steals, and 2 blocks in loss to Danville; Scored 19 points, 9 rebounds, and 6 steals in a win against Champaign Central.
- Nyla Walker, Mother McAuley (4A): Nyla averaged 20.7 ppg, 5.0rpg, 3.3apg, and 2.3 steals per game over three games, including two wins over Fenwick; Also, Bella Finnegan averaged 16ppg, 10.3rpg, and 2.0 apg.
- Lauren Huber, Glenbard East (4A): Reached 1,000 points in the third game of her third varsity season, scoring 21 point in a 56-23 win over Larkin on Feb. 11; scored 22 points and grabbed 18 rebounds, scored tying basket with 2 seconds left in regulation in a Feb. 9 overtime win over Glenbard North. Kaleb Carter wrote about Huber in January.
- Thaya Luse, Aurora Christian (1A): Recorded a double-double in all 4 games this week, as Aurora Christian won each game. Against Westmont, 14 points, 13 rebound; Vs. Ridgewood 19 points, 13 rebounds, against Aurora Central Catholic 12 points, 11 rebounds; Then against St. Edward 18 points, 15 rebounds; Also, Aspen Weeks averaged 15.3 ppg and 7 rpg in the same four games.
- Katy Eidle, Hersey (4A): Scored 28 in a win over Prospect; Had 23 points vs. Elk Grove. Kaleb Carter wrote about Eidle and the Huksies back in Spetmeber.
Congratulations to the Varsity on an excited overtime win over Glenbard North. Lauren Huber led the Rams with 22pts/ 18 rebounds and scored off the drive with 4 seconds left to put us into overtime. Emily Ryan had 8 pts followed by Denise Navar with 6 pts / 8 rebounds. pic.twitter.com/39b43qfNPQ— GE Girls Basketball (@GE_Girls_BBALL) February 10, 2021
- Addisyn Miller, Benton (2A): On consecutive nights scored 29 points vs West Frankfort (2/12) and 24 points vs Murphysboro (2/13), Made 4 3-pointers vs. West Frankfort and 5 vs Murphysboro. Also shot 10-12 from FT line in these two games. Benton is 3-1.
- Lindley Johnston, Stark County (1A): Scored 25 in a 67 – 43 win over Wethersfield on Feb. 9; The sophomore scored 21 in a 43-39 win over Princeville on Feb. 12.
- Charlotte Trunk, Sandburg (4A): Trunk averaged 14 points, 10 rebounds while going 2-1, with wins over Stagg and Lockport and a loss to Lincon-Way Central; Also, Erin O’Connor showed versatility, averaging 7 points 8 assists and 8 steals a game during the same three-game stretch; Also, Josie Canellis is averaging 15 ppg and shooting 40% on 3-pt. shot.
- Laura Strenk, Regina Dominican (2A): averaged 14.5 ppg, 5.5 rpg, 3.5 apg, 3.5 spg in two games.
- Tristian Canfield, Plano (3A); Scored 16 points vs Ottawa Feb. 13; Posted 12 points 7 rebounds, 4 steals vs Sandwich Feb. 11; Added a double-double of 17 points 14 rebounds vs Kaneland on Feb. 9.
- Nadia Kessling, Henry-Senachwine/Lowpoint-Washburn (1A): Scored 20 points, grabbed 12 rebounds, went 9 of 12 shooting in a loss to Marquette Academy (Ottawa).
- Trinity Wade, Shelbyville (2A): Career-high 31 points on Saturday the 13th against Dieterich.
- Mia Simpson, Waukegan (4A): The senior scored 25 points, had 10 rebounds, 9 assists, 5 steals, and 5 blocks in a 62-35 win over Mundelein.
- Summer Reid, Schaumburg Christian (1A): Poured in 38 points vs. Alden-Hebron on Feb. 12; Put up 20 points vs Parkview Christian on Feb 11; Scored 10 points vs Harvest Christian on Feb 8.
- Denali Craig-Edwards, Peoria (3A): Sophomore posted 20 points and 10 rebounds against and is carrying a 4.8 G.P.A.; Aaliyah Guyton scored 22, had 5 assists and 3 steals in win over Normal West on Feb. 12. Guard Saniya Tutt nominated for performance Week 1.
- Audrey Sabol, Nokomis (1A): Averaged 18 ppg and 11.3 rpg in three games, each wins; 14 points, 11 rebounds, 3 steals, 1 block in 50-46 win over South Fork; 14 points, 11 rebounds in win over Buffalo Tri-City; 26 points, 12 rebounds, 3 blocks, 3 steals in win over Cowden Herrick/Beecher City.
- Mallory Cyrulik, Clinton (2A): Jr. Prep Girls Hoops Top 100 player for the class of 2022, scored her 1,000th point on Thursday, at Central A&M. Mallory is the 11th Lady Maroon to reach this milestone, Mallory finished the game with 26 points, 23 rebounds, 3 steals, 2 assists, and 2 blocks. She is being recruited by a handful of Division III programs.
- Kylie Kisgen, Freeburg (2A): In three games against Salem, Columbia, and Breese Central, the sophomore averaged 12.7 points; shot 45.5% from 3 pt line (5 of11); averaged 5.33 steals, 2.7 rpg, 2.33 apg; shot 68.8% from FT line.
- Emily Smith, Marissa (1A): The senior scored her 1000th point in victory against Gibault (44-29). 12 points, 7 rebounds, 3 assists, 5 steals; In 54-24 victory over Valmeyer she had 21 points, 9 rebounds, 2 assists, 5 steals.
- Sarah Finley, Tri-City/Sangamon Valley (2A): In three games (Nokomis, Lanphier and Athens), the sophomore averaged 18 points, 7.7 rebounds, and shot 53% from the field. She also went 16 of 22 from the free throw line. Scored her team’s first 17 points in a win over Athens on Saturday, Feb. 14.
- Julia Simon, Wheaton North (4A): Louisville soccer commit is averaging 15.3 ppg and set school steals record (has 215); Also, Claire Hyde hit 5 3-pointers in win over St. Charles North Sunday, Feb. 14.
- Georgia Duncan, Washington (3A): Averaging 15 ppg and led team to win over Morton.
- Ava Bardic, Stevenson (4A): 25 points and 6 3’s in 62-52 win over Libertyville.
- Erin Houpt, Danville (4A): 37 points in an 88-53 win over Bloomington.
Illinois Boys Player of the Week Nominees
- Jamauri Winfrey, Richwoods (3A): Over three games against Normal West, Danville and Bloomington, averaged 27 ppg and 10 rebs.
- Nathan Kaufman, Agape Christian: 50 points, 13 rebounds, 4 blocks, 2 steals in 80-56 win over Crab Orchard; 20 points, 17 rebounds, 3 blocks in a 79-40 win over Century.
- Jamar Mays, North Chicago (3A): Averaging 18 ppg and had 9 steals and 8 rebounds in a Feb. 11 win over Antioch.
- Nathan Valentine, Geneva (4A): 28 points and game-winning, 3-pointer at the buzzer to beat Bartlett. Made 8 3’s in the game.
- Grant Hyer, Quincy Notre Dame (2A): 12 points, 10 assists vs. Springfield Calvary; 26 points vs Sacred Heart-Griffin.
- Jack Haynes, Streator (3A): A 6-6 junior, Haynes led the Bulldogs to a 4-0 start (best in over a decade) by averaging a double-double of 16 points and 12 rebounds per game.
Streator 65— Streator Bulldogs Basketball (@shsbulldogbball) February 13, 2021
Played really well tonight vs a good Reed-Custer team. Honored our seniors by moving to 4-0 on season and 2-0 in ICE play.
Jack Haynes – 21 P, 7 R
Amarion Ford – 17 P, 4 Ast, 3 Stl
Sawyer Good – 7 P #SHSDawgs
- Ben Kreiz, Wilmington (2A): Averaged 25 points, 13 rebounds, and 6 block shots per game the past week; Also, Tysen Meets, point guard averaged 17 points, 8 assists, 2 steals, and shot 85% from the free throw line this past week.
- Gary Clay Jr., Rich Township (4A): 22 points in a loss to Kankakee.
- Will Meliska, Midland (1A): Averaged 24 points, 8 rebounds, 6 assists and 3 steals over three games.
- Cameron Russell, Indian Creek (1A): Averaged 21 ppg, 8 rpg, 4 apg, and shot 70% from the field while leading Indian Creek to its second consecutive Little 10 tournament championship.
- Will Dunlap, Orion (2A): Posted back-to-back double-doubles, averaging 14 points, 15 rebounds 2 blocks and 2 steals.
- Mitch Haake, Mater Dei (2A): Had 14 pts, 7 assists, 6 rebounds in 67-40 win over Highland.
- Tommie Wiliams, Belleville West (4A): Averaging 16.8 ppg, 5.5 rpg, 2.75 apg, 1.75 spg through 4 games; Also, Ty Lampley is averaging 14.5 ppg, 8 rpg, 1.5 spg for 3-1 Belleville West.
- Ryne Schimmel, Moline (4A): Put up 30 points by shooting 7 of 10 from the 3-point line and 11- of 15 overall in a 88-84 overtime loss on Friday, Feb. 13. night at Galesburg. He also added 4 assists, 3 rebounds, and a steal in the game.
- Trenton Kyler, DeKalb (4A): 29 points in win over Eastland; 22 in win over Naperville North.
Milestones & Achievements
We’re on the lookout for records and milestones, monster performances and game-winners. Here’s some moments Jakub Rudnik found from Week 2. You can find more info like this by subscribing to the Illinois High School Basketball News Newsletter.
- Indian Creek won the boys Little 10 tournament. (Eddie Carifio/Shaw Media)
- Nashville boys coach Wayne Harre won his 500th career game.
- Carmel Catholic boys coach Zack Ryan won his 100th career game.
- Max Christie Sets Rolling Meadows Scoring Record. (Dick Quagliano/Daily Herald)
- “[Wethersfield senior Coltin] Quagliano reaches 2,000-point plateau, chasing school, LTC scoring records.” (Terry Duckett/Dispatch-Argus). “Quagliano on verge of two scoring titles.” (Troy Taylor/Star Courier)
- Aurora Christian senior and Virginia commit Anna Griffin reached 1,500 career points.
- “Glenbard East’s Huber hits 1,000 mark as Rams down Larkin.” (Gregg Voss/Daily Herald)
- “[Hinckley-Big Rock’s] Tessa Prellberg scores 26, reaches 1,000-point club.” (Daily Chronicle)
- “[Clinton’s Mallory] Cyrulik reaches 1,000 career points.” (Colin Likas/News-Gazette)
- Fisher’s Carson Brozenec and Danville’s Nate Hoskins reached 1,000 points. (Matt Daniels/News-Gazette)
- Danville’s Tevin Smith reached 1,000 points.
- Oak Forest junior Robbie Avila scored his 1,000th career point.
- Joe Jordan became Wheeling’s all-time rebounding leader. (Dion Martorano/Journal & Topics)
- Evanston’s Blake Peters will likely reach the No. 2 scoring mark in program history this week. (Dennis Mahoney/Patch)
- 5 Peoria-area players of the week. (Stan Morris, Adam Duvall, Johnny Campos/Journal Star)
- 30 top performers from Week 1 on Illinois-Basketball.com.
- Hersey grad Claire Gritt reached 1,000 points for Denver University.
- Game-winner for Grayslake Central’s Brendan Whalen against Crystal Lake South.
- Coach Jeremy Schoenecker nominated his whole senior class for the Week 2 Top Performers, but we’re recognizing them here: The Loyola Ramblers, who went 6-0 in seven days. So shouts to Arielle Dabu, Reese Giordano, Maeve Malenock, Nyah Moore, Caroline Narak, Izzy Ogliore, Summer Parker-Hall, Silvana Scarsella and Caroline York.
- In a game between Buffalo Grove and Hersey on Feb. 12, the Huskies’ Ethan Roberts scored 42 points, grabbed 10 boards and dished out 7 assists while the Bison’s Kam Craft scored 40 of his own in the same game.
“Their dedication and sacrifice for the team has been admirable and glad to have seen it pay off by being ready to go at the drop of a hat and start this season with the incredible, never before done and probably never done again, feat of going 6-0 in a single week. It was an impressive 6-0 as well beating three top 20 ranked teams in Libertyville, Mother McAuley and Marian Catholic, two wins against reigning 3A state 3rd place team Montini and a win against Glenbrook North.”